Monday, July 14, 2014

Paleo Pot Roast and Turnips

I've added two new love affairs to my cooking arsenal: Turnips and Pot Roast. Oh...my...goodness gracious. I had to stay up until 11:30pm or so last night to give the Pot Roast a full six hours in my slow cooker but it was well worth it. The smell that filled my apartment was as if that wispy hand from the old looney tunes cartoons was calling out to me. It smelled so divine I couldn't help but snack on everything in front of me. It was making me so hungry and I almost forgot to take any pictures. On top of all that, it was easy...and cheap! I spent under $15 for two whole delicious meals including 3/4lb of meat (each meal), carrots, gravy (er..water that turned into gravy, kinda), sweet potatoes, and turnips mashed with grass fed butter. I vote yes.


Paleo Pot Roast
Ingredients:
-Meat (As much as you want really. I used a 1 and 1/2 pound London Broil. I imagine pork shoulder/chuck roast would have worked just as well.)
-6 medium/large carrots
-1 onion
-3 cloves of garlic
-1 cup of beef/chicken stock (or water); I just used water because I didn't have any stock.
-Salt/pepper/spices of choice 
Everything chopped and ready-to-go.
Instructions:
1. Pour the water/stock into your slow cooker.
2. Turn it on low for 6-8 hours (you could turn it on after everything is in, up to you).
3. Peel and cut the carrots in half.
4. Chop up the onion and garlic. I kept everything in decent sized chunks. Not too big, not too small. Optionally you can saute the garlic and onions in a tbsp or two of your favorite cooking fat before adding them to the pot. 
5. Season your meat on both sides (liberally).
6. Put the meat in the slow cooker with the carrots on the sides and the onions/garlic on top.
Everything in the slow cooker.
7. Wait and try not to eat your entire kitchen while its cooking (I almost failed at the "don't eat your entire kitchen" part).
The end result; Half-eaten. It was so good I almost forgot to take a picture.

Turnips w/ Sweet Potatoes and Grass Fed Butter (Mashed)
Ingredients:
-3 or so turnips
-1 sweet potato
-Grass fed butter

Instructions:
1. Bring some salted water to a boil.
2. Chop up the turnips and the sweet potato.
Chopping everything up.
3. Toss everything into the pot and let it cook for 30-40 minutes. The sweet potatoes were done significantly faster than the turnip. Next time I think I'll cook 'em separately. This time I just fished out the sweet potato chunks and set them aside in my mashing bowl.
4. Mash everything up with some salt, pepper, and grass fed butter. Note: The turnips didn't mash all that well for me. I probably didn't boil them long enough (I was hungry, it was late, so I let 'em cook about 25-30 minutes. Also, my chunks might have been too big. You cook, you learn.)
5. Enjoy!


Until next episode,
The Simple Paleo Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Suggestions? Comments? I want to hear from you!