Friday, July 11, 2014

Bacon (Oven Baked)

Bacon is awesome. The smell of it will make me rise from the heaviest of sleep-induced-comas. Steve over at Nerd Fitness has put together a wonderful Bacon resource (here). Some of the highlights cover how to find the best bacon; In a nut-shell, stay away from the heavily processed stuff, definitely don't go for the "healthier" turkey bacon (it's really not bacon at all and has tons of added stuff you don't want). Basically just go for something, "unprocessed, with just a few ingredients. Think "pork, water, salt, brown sugar” and not much else". If you really want to get advanced, cure your own bacon. One of these days I'll do that. For now, I'm happy buying the best bacon I can find and cooking it in my oven. Let's get down to it.

1. I bought a couple cookie racks to do lay over a tin-foil lined baking pan. I use lots of tin-foil to catch all that yummy bacon grease.
Ready to receive the bacon =).
2. Layer as much bacon as you can fit. It will shrink a little bit.
Bacon!
3. Put your bacon in an unheated oven. Set the temperature to 400 degrees and set a timer for about 20 minutes. Watch your bacon so it doesn't burn.
Bacon! And tongs. Tongs help for this.
3. Remove the bacon and put it on a paper towel lined plate to cool a little bit. Don't forget to save that delicious bacon fat in a jar. I keep mine in the fridge and use it every now and then to spice up various things. Like frying veggies in bacon fat for example. Not all the time of course; But it sure is yummy.
Save the fat! Don't pour it down the drain...it does....wonders on plumbing systems.
4. Bacon!
5. Bacon!
6. Bacon!
Have some bacon, eggs, and pineapple. It always makes me feel like I'm in Hawaii!

Thanks for reading! If you have any comments/questions/suggestions; I want to hear from you!

breathe deep seek bacon,
The Simple Paleo Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Suggestions? Comments? I want to hear from you!