Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Bacon, Spinach, Brocolli, and Avocado Frittata with an Oven Baked Acorn Squash

Oven Baked Acorn Squash
I love acorn squash. It's a little nutty, very squashy, warm, and easy to prepare in several ways. This morning I had a little time so I went with an oven baked route-to-acorn-goodness. Squashes of all kinds are a great thing to have under your paleo belt. They are a great source of alpha-carotene and beta-carotene among other things. You'll want to spring to get organic squash if possible.

Ingredients:
Acorn Squash
Coconut/Olive Oil
(Optional) Cinnamon
(Optional) Grass Fed Butter

Instructions:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
3. Add a little bit (1 Tbsp or so) of oil to the inside of the squash and oil it up ;).
Oiled and ready to bake.
4. Bake for about 45 minutes - 1 hour and 15 minutes depending on the size of the squash.
5. (Optional) I like to sprinkle some cinnamon and/or butter on my squashes after they come out of the oven.

While the squash is cooking you can throw together some frittatas!

Bacon, Spinach, Brocolli, and Avocado Frittatas
Frittatas are an excellent vehicle for eggs and other veggies you may have in your fridge. I decided to add spinach, brocolli, avocado, and of course, bacon. Everything is better with bacon. Feel free to switch up the ingredients and the baking vessels; The eggs are mandatory though.

Ingredients:
12 Eggs
2 Slices Cooked Bacon
1 Head Broccoli
1/2 or 1 Full Avocado
Large handful Baby Spinach
Salt/pepper to taste

Instructions:
1. Prep. all your filling/extra ingredients. In my case this entailed chopping up the broccoli, avocado, spinach, and cooked bacon into little pieces. I threw my cooked bacon in the freezer for about 20 minutes to make slicing it easier.
2. Whip up a whole lot of eggs. I used a dozen. This part, along with all of the quantities, depends on what your going to cook your frittata in. I was using my mini-loaf pans. I figured about 4 eggs per pan seemed right and thus ended up cooking 12 eggs.
Prepped and ready to go.
3. Add your ingredients to your eggs and mix well. Don't forget to add your spices.
4. Grease the pans/tins. I used some coconut oil. Pour the mix into your pans/muffin tins/other vehicle for frittata-goodness ;). Leave a little room on top for the eggs to expand.
Ready to bake eggy goodness.
5. Bake at 425 degrees for about 10-20 minutes. The size of your cooking vessel will affect the cooking time. You want your eggs to start to puff up but not to burn. I'm good at burning things so after 10 minutes I kept adding 3 minutes to the timer and watching my frittatas like a hawk.
Watching like a hawk. These are just about done. Feel free to pull one out and do a fork/taste test =).
6. Enjoy!
Breakfast of champions =). Time for a full day of work and yoga.


-Perry (The Simple Paleo Cook) | @SimplePaleoCook on Twitter | Email/FB simplepaleocook@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Suggestions? Comments? I want to hear from you!