Saturday, July 12, 2014

Granola and Hard Boiled Eggs

I made my first summer star squash.
This thing is a summer star squash. I had *no clue* what it was when I bought it at the Woodinville Farmers Market.
Sliced it and steamed it. Delish!

Here's how I made mine (adapted from several recipes found easily online). I noticed that various recipes called for various cook-times at different temperatures. The key point seemed to be, "Don't burn it". I ended up more or less following the recipe from PaleOMG because it had a shorter cook time at a higher temperature, it was late, and I was tired. I modified a few things.

Granola
Ingredients:
-1 cup raw unsalted almonds
-1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
-1/4 cup shelled hemp seeds
-1/2 cup pecans
-1/4 cup raw walnuts
-1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
-1/2 cup coconut oil
-1 cup raisins
-1 tbsp cinnamon
-Dash of nutmeg
-1 tsp salt
-1/2 cup creamed natural honey
-1/2 cup maple syrup
Granola ingredients.
Instructions:
1. Chop the almonds, seeds, and pecans to your desired consistency. I used my food processor and pulsed each item a couple times.
2. Add all the chopped nuts/seeds to the shredded coconut in a large bowl.
3. Mix in the honey, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt, and coconut oil. Everything except the raisins.
4. Spread the mix out evenly on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 25 minutes taking it out of the oven and stirring it every 7-10 minutes or so.
This part smelled amazing!
5. Remove from the oven, add the raisins, and let it cool.
The end result. Ready for some hiking =).
I put it in the fridge to cool and it turned out wonderful. Maybe next time I would use less sugary things (like maple syrup and honey). Nonetheless this was delicious (a special treat indeed).

Hard Boiled Eggs
This is barley a recipe. It was super easy and really seems like a useful egg prep. to get under my belt.

1. Take some older eggs (7-10 days old or so).
2. Cover them with 1 inch of cold water in a pot.
Yep. Eggs. Not very exciting but delicious.
3. Bring them to a boil.
4. Take off the heat and cover the pot. Let is sit for about 7-15 minutes depending on the size of the eggs. I let mine sit for 10.
5. Take those egg-ies out and put them in an ice bath. Once cooled (and the cooking has been stopped); Put 'em in the fridge.

As always thanks for reading! Please comment with any comments/questions/suggestions... I want to hear from you!

-The Simple Paleo Cook, aka Perry ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Suggestions? Comments? I want to hear from you!