Thursday, July 10, 2014

Paleo Applesauce

I had a busy morning cooking up some bacon, paleo homemade applesauce, and figuring out what to do with that summer star squash I got at the farmers market. I try to get at least one thing a week that I have *absolutely no idea* how to cook/prepare. That way I'm always learning! I'll post later tonight on Bacon and the Summer Star Squash. For now I wanted to get this applesauce post out there!

Paleo Applesauce
I found this recipe on PaleoCupboard.com (link here). I modified it just a tiny bit by adding some nutmeg alongside the cinnamon. Paleo applesauce is dangerously good. I originally made it to go in the paleo chocolate and rainier cherry muffins (link here). Without further ado, let's get into it!

Ingredients:
-4 to 8 Organic Apples (I like to keep the peels on. Your choice).
A variety of organic apples.





-2 Tablespoons (which is 6 Tea-spoons) Natural (Raw) Honey
-3/4 Cup Water
-Cinnamon
-Nutmeg

Tools:
-Large Pot
-Spoon or other stirring device
-Smashing device
-Apple slicer (so helpful I can't even begin to tell you...one of my favorite kitchen gadgets for under $5)
Why I love my apple slicer. Makes eating anything round with a core that much easier!
-Sharp knife

Instructions:
1. Prepare your cooking area. For me this meant braking out ol' faithful (my wooden cutting board), getting a knife out, and taking the apples and honey out of the fridge.
Anna's Natural Creamed Honey, ol' faithful, and seven organic apples of various varieties.
2. Chop the apples into little pieces and add the honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, and water to the pot.
Chopped apples w/ honey and 3/4-cup water.
3. Put the pot on the stove and bring the water to a boil. I check to see if the water is boiling by making a little hole with my stirring device (parting the sea of apples). Stir often.
Everything together on the stove-top.
Parting the sea of apples to check if it's boiling yet.
4. Once it starts boiling/bubbling (it doesn't have to be a rolling boil or anything), reduce the heat and cover the pot. Cook for 20 minutes or so stirring occasionally. 
Cookin' up those apples.
5. After 20 minutes or so, remove the pot from the heat and mash up the apples to your desired consistency. Transfer them into another container and put the whole lot of goodness in the fridge to cool.
Mash 'em. Mash 'em good.
The end result! I can't wait to go home and try some...End work! End!
As always, thank you for reading! I appreciate your time =). If you have any questions/comments/suggestions please let me know! 

Until the next post fellow Paleo adventurer,
The Simple Paleo Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Suggestions? Comments? I want to hear from you!