Friday, July 25, 2014

Cinnamon Carrot Chips

Cinnamon Carrot Chips

Ingredients:
As many carrots as you want. I used about 10 or so medium/large organic carrots.
Coconut Oil
(Optional) Cinnamon
(Optional) Nutmeg
(Optional) Salt

Instructions:
1. The cut. There are several ways to cut your chips, and all of them will result in a slightly different end product. I used my Cusinart w/ its slicing blade and made very thin chips. Next time I think I'll make some strips and some rounds that are a little bit thicker. Not too thick, maybe 1/8 - 1/4 inch tops.
My initial set-up.
2. The seasoning. Cinnamon to the rescue! I've been using cinnamon on...almost everything recently. For this step I used a couple tablespoons of coconut oil, a liberal sprinkling of cinnamon, and about 1 tablespoon of salt. Season to your liking and try to coat every chip with your mix.
3. Dehydrating. Let the learning begin. I though I would use parchment paper to help clean-up and help chips from not falling though. In hindsight, bad move. The paper blocked the central heat column until I poked holes to let the air circulate. It also didn't allow for the trays to snap together right, thus letting heat out where it shouldn't be going out. Oops. You cook you learn. So next time (and this time for you!) just set the chips gently right on the racks. If you want to try to use parchment paper, make sure you cut it to fit perfectly, not blocking any heat vents or connecting parts. This whole step can take anywhere from 6 to 12 hours depending on your cut size. Start checking every hour or two until they are dried to your liking.
My oops. Too much paper, too many chips, and a blocked central heating column. Eep! Did I do that? Yep, I (embarrassingly) did. I learned. They still came out ok in the end.
4. Enjoy! I enjoyed my experience and my carrot chips. As imperfect as the whole thing was. I stored them at room temperature in a sealed mason jar.
Carrot chips!

Thanks for reading! I'm glad I survived my bike journey this morning and am still able to write, cook, share my journey through being a paleo yogi ;), and always be learning.

With love and a smile on my face, rock on paleo adventurers! Until next episode...

Comments? Questions? Suggestions? Let me know! 

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a dehydrator you recommend? My wife and I have been thinking about getting one, but have no experience with them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a Presto 06300. After using it a little bit I would recommend a slightly higher end model. The 06300 doesn't let you control heat and doesn't have a timer. I would go for something like the Presto 06301 on the cheaper end at around $60 on Amazon. If you can afford it (this will be my next kitchen toy), go with an Excalibur 3526TB. They run about $200 on Amazon. Excalibur seems to be well reviewed. Having the option to control the temperature makes a huge difference. The timer feature is also nice =). I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Suggestions? Comments? I want to hear from you!