Monday, August 11, 2014

Sweet Potato Hash / Bacon and Paleo Blueberry Pancakes

Sweet Potato Hash
I used my Cuisinart and it's shredding disc to shred up the sweet potato and then basically fried it up in some grass fed butter and a couple spices.

Ingredients/Tools:
-As many sweet potatoes as you wish. I only had one to use this morning.
-2-3 Tbsp. Grass Fed Butter / Ghee
-1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
-1/2 Tsp. Onion Powder
-1/2 Tsp. Dried Rosemary
-1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
-Food processor with a shredding disc

Instructions:
1. Cut your sweet potato(es) the long way (think hot dog, not hamburger).
2. Shred the "hot dog" slices of sweet potato using a food processor.
3. Add the seasonings to the shredded potato(es) and mix well.
Sweet potatoes shredded and spiced. Ready to fry 'em up.
4. Melt your butter in a cast iron skillet (or in my case, because all my cast iron was in use for the pancakes and bacon -- a large pan/skillet).
Grass fed butter! This is some Kerrygold (even available at stores like Safeway!).
5. Once the butter is...glistening (shimmering -- warmed up but not burning), add your shredded sweet potato.
6. Mix it around a little bit on medium/high heat and then LET IT SIT.
I was so excited as this point I can't even tell you. I love sweet potatoes. So. Much!
7. Let it cook for about 3-5 minutes.
8. Uncover and flip it around. You want to cook it until there are some brown bits and your hash
approaches crispy but not burnt. I didn't quite find the optimal balance this morning (it was my first time). I only used medium heat. Next time I'm going to use medium/high heat while watching it closely. 
9. Enjoy! I cooked some bacon as well as some paleo blueberry pancakes.

The bacon notes: I used a package of Bacon Ends and Pieces. At $5.59/lb it was a bargain for such high quality local bacon.
Mmm...bacon...
Cooked bacon placed on a plate lined with some paper towels. Note the saved bacon grease in the top left corner. Save that bacon fat! It's great for so many things...
I also cooked some bacon and paleo blueberry pancakes. Yum. Full on delicious breakfast.
I want to hear from you! Really! If you have any suggestions, comments, questions please feel free to comment here or find me on Facebook (simplepaleocook@gmail.com), Twitter, or by email.

Thanks for reading!
-Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Suggestions? Comments? I want to hear from you!